Here comes the bride or groom… all dressed in white. Their attire is ethereal, the florals are perfect, and their hair is pure elegance. They look radiant as they float down the aisle and their life partner-to-be beams. Then, they lift their veil. What will we see? That depends. Was the same attention to detail given to their make-up as to their attire, floral design, and hair? Today,
more and more couples are realizing the importance of having their make-up professionally done the day of their wedding.
So how do you choose a make-up artist that’s right for you? Here are a few guidelines. Before they even apply a smidgen of make-up.
- Do you like the way THEY look? If you don’t like the way the make-up artist is wearing their make-up, there’s a good chance you won’t like the way they do yours.
- Do you feel comfortable with them? Do they have a calming, reassuring effect on you or is their energy level so frenetic or abrupt that they make you nervous? Remember, you’ll most likely have pre-wedding jitters that day so you want someone who will make you feel comfortable and well-cared for.
- Do they include a preliminary make-up session with you? I’ve heard horror stories of brides locking themselves in the bathroom–totally distraught because they hate their make-up. This can be avoided by having a run-through prior to the wedding day.
- Did they listen to what you wanted? Do you still recognize yourself when you look in the mirror? Do you feel elegant and beautiful? Once they’ve done your make-up in your practice session, take a good look. This is your opportunity to make adjustments. In most cases, you will be wearing a little (or perhaps even a lot) more make-up than you usually do, but it is still critical that you feel comfortable with it and like what you see.
- Do they include or offer foundation and/or lipstick so you can easily do touch-ups during the reception? I’ve seen people lick all of their lipstick off within the first 2 hours. If they don’t have the right color handy to replenish it, the total effect can be compromised.
- Do they come to you on your wedding day? The last thing you want to do is run around that day. All services should come to you.
There is nothing routine about getting married, so, why should your make-up feel ordinary? Professionally done make-up makes you feel pampered and look radiant. You already know your life partner-to-be loves you. This is the day to bowl them over with your beauty!